Category Archives: iTunes
iTunes was initially developed to be a media manager that could be used to play, download, save and organize, digital music and video files on your desktop and laptops. However, it has now evolved to become the backbone that connects and syncs all the different Apple devices such as the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch and Macs together. In this guide book we have compiled numerous tips, tricks and how to tutorials for iTunes that both novice and experienced users can use. You may want to bookmark this page for later reference. Additionally, we would highly appreciate if you can share this guide book with your friends and family.
Apple’s App Store is certainly one of the most priced products in Apple’s arsenal. The iTunes and the App Store helped Apple cement its dominance in the mobile and tablet space. The iTunes and App Store require a credit card to sign up and for the App Store. In this article we will explain how to use the App Store without a credit card.
How to Access the iOS and Mac App Store Without a Credit Card
Many iPhone, iPad or Mac users have kids who do not have a credit card yet. So it makes perfect sense to have a way to access the iOS or Mac App Store so that kids could also access and use it to download free downloads and updates from the App Stores without being able to make purchases. In order to access the iOS and Mac App Store without a credit card, perform the following steps:
- Open the iOS App Store or Mac App Store.
- Now click on “Account” on the the right-hand side.
- Sign out of the Apple account, if you are signed into it.
- You would have to agree to the Terms and Conditions and fill out the Apple ID creation page details.
- Be sure to set this new account up for a new email address (that is of your kid) than your primary app store account.
- On the “Provide a Payment Method” screen, select “None” as the payment option.
- Now, press “Create Apple ID” button. The only thing you would now have to do is to verify the email address that you just provided
Have you developed your first iOS app and you want to upload and submit to iTunes store? It is not as simple as you think, but the latest Xcode 4.2 development tools from Apple has speed up the process. However, the task is still an endeavor. This is a thorough topic and one cannot completely write a tutorial that can cover every aspect of the problem 100%. However, I can only provide you simple overview with the intention that you can have an idea of the entire process, tips and drawbacks.
To Get Started
To begin with, you should have paid iOS developer account ($99/year) in order to submit paid or free applications to the iTunes App Store. Make sure that your Apple ID contains latest information like address. You have to confirm your address and identification details by faxing a passport copy and utility bill. If you have any problem then just call developer support for your local country.
You should also test your app on simulator for bugs and memory leaks. It is surely a monumental task for getting to that flawless state but make sure that no serious errors have crept in your app.
The whole submission process is summarized as follows:
- Create your unique App ID for your app and make sure that you change bundle identifier in Xcode
- Create a secure Distribution Certificate for yourself
- Create a Provisioning Distribution Profile for the app
- Code-sign your app with the distribution profile
- Archive it and ensure your project is set to Skip Install>Yes and Target is placed at Skip Install -> No
- Create an App on iTunes Connect with your meta data and sales information
How to Create An App ID
- First of all, you need to create an App ID that should be unique identifier for your app. Go to iOS Provisioning Portal, where you will find the link on the right side once you logged in your iOS developer site. Now choose App ID from the sidebar.
- Now, click the button to create a new app ID. You need to enter reference in the first description field and the bundle identifier is a code name for your app. It is normally written as your company’s domain , followed by a dot and the app name like net.techow.demoapp
- Click Target -> Summary in X-Code and change the Identifier to the name you decided just above (net.techow.demoapp).
How to Create A Distribution Certificate
A Distribution certificate is a secure and protected certificate that is stored in your profile that proves your developer identity and signs your code. There is detailed version of process available on the Distribution tab of the Provisioning Portal, but the simplified version is:
- Turn off OCSP and CRL from the Preferences in Keychain Access.
- Choose Certificate Assistant -> Request Certificate from Authority in the Keychain Access menu.
- Now enter your email address and to continue, select Saved to Disk and Let me specify key pair information. Remember no CA email is needed.
- Choose key size of 2048 bits, and RSA algorithm, Continue.
- This will result in creation of .CSR file on your desktop.
- Select Certificates -> Distribution -> Add Certificate, and upload the file created in the Provisioning Portal.
- The process will take a few seconds for approval. Download and install the WWDR intermediate certificate in the intervening time (just download, double click it).
- Refresh the page and at this time you can easily download your certificate. Once more, install it.
- As we have come to the conclusion so open the Keychain Access, highlight your private key that you just installed and select Export Item from the menu. Secure your key and also take a backup as without the this key you cannot submit apps anymore once your OS reinstalls or on different systems.
How to Create A Distribution Provisioning Profile
Select Provisioning -> Distribution and create a new profile in Provisioning Portal. Choose App Store as the distribution method, a profile name, and choose the App ID you created earlier. Submit it, refresh it, download it and again install the profile as you have done before. This will add to XCode.
You can even check from the Window -> Organizer -> Devices tab, and select Provisioning Profiles from the sidebar.
How to Check Code Signing & Build Settings
Open up XCode and find Code Signing in the Build Settings area in the final preliminary step. Make sure that the Release option (for both Project and app Target) has your Distribution Profile selected (the one you installed just now).
Now choose iOS device as the build scheme, and move on to Archiving.
How to Archive Your App
You need to create an archive of the complete project before submitting your app. Make sure that you have the back up of all the files that you are uploading to iTunes contact and first step is to build Archive plan for the release version.
Now, click on Edit Schemes from the top-left and ensure that the Archive settings is set to Release, or create one now with the suitable settings. Using the Auto-Create Schemes function inside manage schemes should also create this for you.
After that, you need to change the Build Settings for the project to be able to Skip Install. If you are using any external libraries for your app. Click the main project (not the target) -> Build Settings -> type Skip into the search field. Now make sure Yes is selected for the Deployment -> Skip Install option.
The TARGETS Build Settings for Skip Install is supposed to be No. Double check so that no error is present. Project Skip Install, Yes; Target Skip Install, No.
The last and final step is to build your deployment archive to upload. For that, you need to select Product -> Archive from the menu. After the completion of process, you can easily find your app in the Organizer -> Archives section.
How To Create An App On iTunes Connect
iTunes Connect is the commercial section of the app store that manages all the actual sales of your finished app, which countries to sell in, description and screenshots etc. It’s actually quite simple, but there’s a lot of information to be filled in this section. At this point you’ll need to make up your mind whether to sell the app, give it away, allow Ads to be displayed, enter bank information and sign any contract needed for release.
For that you should head to the iTunes Connect and select Add a New App. You’ll have to select the bundle identifier from the drop selection box (the net.techow.demoapp or whatever name you created earlier), and rest is self explanatory. So it is expected that you can complete alone without any supervision as Apple will direct you on every step.
Finally your app will be included in the store but in the Waiting for Upload status. Here you need to go back toXCode Organizer -> Archives, and hit Submit to upload. You will asked for the login and check the app you are trying to upload. You have to wait for few weeks before your app gets approval flag.
Yes, is it as complex but only the first time. And in justice, it’s this painstaking process that prevents insecure apps and malware from ever making their way onto the app store, so that’s something impressive one should be eternally thankful to.
Do let us know in the comments about your experience when you battled submitting your own app to the app store.
Apple linked iTunes to all of it’s products that include iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone. Almost all Apple users use iTunes to transfer and manage files and songs to their iDevices. There is always a chance of missing tracks or duplicate tracks, while transferring data from iTunes to your device of missing tracks or duplicate tracks. You may find duplicate or missing files on your device as complication in managing data. To solve this problem, you can download and install “iTunes Cleanup” app that is a portable and available for free on Windows. This app can help you in scanning your device and iTunes library for all the duplicate stuff as well as other issues with the transferred tracks.
Prominent Features of “iTunes Cleanup” app are as follows
- Automatic iTunes cleanup
- Delete iTunes duplicates
- Get rid of missing iTunes songs
- Find albums without artwork
iTunes Cleanup allows you to fix iTunes duplicates, import missing songs into iTunes and manage your iTunes library. You can watch the following video to learn more about the app.
Let us know about your feedback regarding this app and our tutorial in the comments below!!
Its known to most iTunes users that they can get album art from iTunes via the Advanced menu. By doing so you can fill the missing album covers of most of your albums. However, the albums of artists who dont sell their music through iTunes or for music downloaded from Soundcloud and blogs often don’t have any artwork attached. For such albums you can always add the artwork manually. In this article we will explain how to add an album cover to an album or group of songs on iTunes.
How to Add An Album Cover to an Album or Group of Songs in iTunes
In order to add album cover to an album or group of songs in iTunes, perform the following steps:
- The first step is to find an artwork to be used as an album cover for your album. You can do so by searching on Google Images or Bing Images. In general, one can easily find album covers by appending ‘album’ to the search term.
- Once you have found an appropriate album cover, save it on your hard disk.
- Now launch iTunes and select the album or group of songs to which you want to add the cover.
- Right click on the album or group of songs and select “Get Info”.
- Select the checkbox next to “Artwork” and drag and drop the artwork that you downloaded from Google or Bing Image search onto the box.
- Click “OK”. This will album artwork for your songs.
That’s all folks, you would now have an album artwork for your album or group of songs. Always remember to check out Apple’s album cover servers before heading off to Google. This is both easier and quicker to do.
The artwork that you will add will automatically be synced to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch the next time you perform the sync operation.
via OS X Daily.
Apple App Store has certainly grown to become one of the biggest software outlets available on the web. This means that you can buy an app to do almost anything on your iPhone or iPad. However, there are times when you buy and download an app expecting it to do one and it turns out to either do something else or is a farce. In such situations, Apple allows you to have a refund of your money. For users who dont already know about it, read on to understand how to get a refund from Apple for your purchased iPhone or iPad Apps.
How to Get a Refund From Apple For Your Purchased iPhone or iPad Apps
If you have been fooled into buying an iPhone or iPad app that does not do what it promises to do, you can get your money back. Here’s how to do it:
- Login to your iTunes account.
- Once signed in, scroll down to your Purchase History and select ‘See All’. This will display you your entire app purchases.
- Now go to the bottom of the list, and select ‘Report a Problem’.
- After clicking on ‘Report a Problem’, select the app on which you want to claim a refund. Now once again click on ‘Report a Problem’.
- You would be provided with 6 options to chose from. Select an option that relates to your problem and provide a detailed explanation for why you want to seek a refund in the comment box.
- After you are done explaining everything, click ‘Submit’.
That’s all that you could have done on your part. However, you should not expect a refund immediately. Apple processes each claim individually and is known to take weeks to refund customers in some cases.
Additionally you should keep in mind that the official policy for iTunes purchases is that ‘All Sales Final.’ Off course, Apple could certainly make life easier for everyone by offering a trial period for app purchases.
The fastest and easiest way to transfer contacts to an iPhone (without iTunes) is to email a vCard file. This file contains all contacts straight to the phone. These .vcf files can be exported from many different phones, from your Address Book, from Google and Gmail, or Yahoo, and can come from just about anywhere else you’d find stored contact information.
We recommend you to Backup and sync the iPhone before to be on safe side in case something goes wrong with importing the vCard.
- From within your computer where the contacts are found, compose a new email that will be sent to the iPhone email with a vCard attachment and send it.
- Open the email containing the contacts in the iPhone and tap on the vCard.vcf file attachment
- Hit on the “Add All # Contacts” to import and install the address book information to the iPhone
The add option informs the user how many contacts are stored inside and within the vCard file, making it very simple to see if all important contact files are included. The user can also manually select each contact by itself from the list if he wishes to only import one or two contacts.
Check that the address book has been transferred over by opening either Phone and going to Contacts or by activating the separate “Contacts” app within the iPhone.
What does one do if the contacts are saved in a different file format such as a CSV file instead of VCF vCard?
Many applications and services have the functionality to export as a VCF but if you find yourself with an exported .CSV file, you can use a CSV to vCard conversion tool to simply bring the files and contacts over into a compatible vCard file format. There is a free online conversion tool that can accomplish this task, all you needs to do is to just paste in the CSV, duplicate the vCard data into a text file, and save with a .vcf extension.
Yes, it is possible to download MP3 songs directly into your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad without iTunes. Apple users know that iTunes is considered as the easiest and most convenient medium to synchronize your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad to your computer to transfer data including MP3 songs. Even though, finding another option beside iTunes to download MP3 songs into your device is difficult but this article will guide you about an alternate method.
- Before following the steps described in this tutorial, you need to Jailbreak your iDevice.
- with you Jailbroken device, download and install iFile on to your device from Cydia.
1. Get Download Manager. You need to get Safari Download Manager tweak on your iDevice from Cydia as first step of the process.
2. Download MP3 File. You can now use Safari Download Manager to download MP3 file in safari.
3.Open in iFile. After the download of MP3 file is finished on your iDevice, open the MP3 file in iFile.
4. iFile. You will notice a blue arrow on the left side of the downloaded MP3 file name after you open the file in iFile. Click on the arrow to proceed further. This will open a “file attributes” screen on your iDevice. Scroll down to this screen where you can find “Add to iPod Library” button, click on it to complete the process.
5.Done. iFile will now create a new file i.e. M4A file and will save it to the media library of your iDevice. You can now enjoy your favorite songs on your iDevice using this method without connecting to iTunes and a computer.
For iOS 5/iOS 5.0.1 users, the tutorial does not work as Safari Download Manager cannot work with iOS 5 and iOS 5.0.1.
Let us know about your feedback in the comments section below!!
Yesterday we explained how Mac users can delete the default Mac apps like Safari, Mail, PhotoBooth etc. But some users might also want to delete iTunes from their Mac. Its hard to imagine anyone wishing for such a thing, but we have come across a few who wish to do precisely this. In this article we will explain how to delete iTunes from Mac OS X.
Deleting iTunes works differently from deleting other third party apps. You can just drag and drop a third party app to trash and it would get deleted. Doing something similar with iTunes app icon would generate the error message ‘“iTunes.app” can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by Mac OS X.’
This is just a farce, as iTunes can actually be deleted. However, if you dont have a very good reason to delete iTunes, you should not attempt this, since iTunes is integral to proper working of App Store. Without iTunes you would have no way to sync apps, music, books, movies, and other such things with an iPad, iPod, iPhone, or Apple TV.
How to Delete iTunes From Mac OS X
- Launch Terminal from the Utilities folder within Applications.
- Type the commands cd /Applications/ to move to the applications directory.
- Now type the command sudo rm -rf iTunes.app/. This command will delete iTunes.
- You would now have to provide your Administrator password to confirm the deletion.
- Please note that you wont get any warning or confirmation. iTunes will simply get deleted.
Note: Your iTunes library wont be deleted as a result of deleting iTunes. So you would still have all your music, books and other purchases that you made from the App Store.
How to Install iTunes
If you have deleted iTunes but now want to install it again. Just download the newest version of iTunes from Apple and run the installer to get iTunes back on your Mac.
via OS X Daily.
After Apple allows its users to create their own custom made ringtones in iTunes, creating a custom ringtone has become a very popular activity among Apple users. If you are still confused about how to make your custom ringtone, this article will provide you step by step guide that will help you in making custom iPhone ringtones in iTunes. You can set different tones on your contacts to identify who is calling and can use newly created custom ringtones for different things on your iPhone to make it more fun for you.
How to Create Custom iPhone Ringtones in iTunes
The first thing you may want to do before you start making custom ringtone is to check your iTunes if the latest version is installed or not. It is highly recommended to update your iTunes to latest version before starting.
- The initial process is same for Mac or Windows users. You can start with selecting a song that you want to use as a ringtone. Now select edit from the menu.
- Go to “Options” at the top menu and change the “stop time” to 20 or 30 seconds, whatever you like. The maximum time allowed for your ringtone is 30 seconds.
- Go to the advanced iTunes menu and select ‘Create AAC version’. This will allow you to create a duplicate of the selected song before converting it into iTunes.
- Now, go to ‘get info’ options of the selected song and delete the ‘stop time’ setting as it will stop the song after 30 seconds automatically
Now, the remaining process for Mac and Windows is different.
For Mac Users
- If you are a Mac user, right click on the duplicate version of selected song. Click ‘Show in finder’ and proceed further.
- You need to change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r.
- You also need to change the name to a short version, click on the name and edit it to a short version before use.
- Now, you can drag the file to your desktop from finder. Delete the duplicate in iTunes if you want.
- Now, you have to import the dragged file from your desktop to iTunes again. Go to ‘File’ > ‘Add to Library’. Select the song on your desktop and import it back to iTunes.
For Windows users
If you are a Windows user, you first need to locate your AAC version of a song on your computer. You may find the AAC version at documents > my Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > music > artist’s folder. Now, follow the steps given below after finding the required file.
- Overtype the name of the file to change it from .m4a to .m4r. In case, the file extension is not visible, change the view option for your files until extension becomes visible.
- Go to Control Panel > Folder Options.
- You can see an option “hide extensions for known file types’, remove the tick from it.
- The extension of your file must become visible now, change it to .m4r.
- You can now import the file back to your iTunes. Go to ‘File’ > ‘Add to Library’. You can select the file now and can import it to iTunes.
Making Ringtone Effective on your iPhone
- Make a connection between your iPhone and computer (Mac or PC) using a USB port.
- Wait until iTunes displays your device.
- Go to the left hand column in iTunes and select your newly created ringtone under ‘ringtones’ category.
- Check the ringtone off and enable ringtone sync. Click ‘Sync’ and you are done.
How to turn ringtone ON
- You can now switch to your iPhone. Go to Settings > Sounds. You can now see the newly created ringtone above all other standard ringtones.
- To select it as your default ringtone, tap on your ringtone.
- You can now use it for all of your contacts or can associate it with few of your contacts. For this, go to Phone > Contacts.
- Select the contacts you want to use it with. Click ‘edit’ and select the ringtone.
Let us know about your experience with customizing ringtone on your iPhone in the comments below!!
If you are a MAC user, it is now possible for you to get free ringtones on your iPhone. Even though, you can still purchase or create your own ringtones on iTunes but not without many limitations in selection or functionality. Fortunately, iLife suite includes an app called GarageBand that allows you to create ringtones. The app is very easy to use and allows you to customize your ringtones. GarageBand allows you to fine tune your ringtones by fading in and fading out, splicing sections together, and many more useful features.
To use a song with GarageBand, drag any song that you want to use as a ringtone into GarageBand.
How to Make Free iPhone Ringtones in GarageBand With iLife
GarageBand app that comes with iLife suite does not allow you to drag a ringtone that you purchased from iTunes and is most probably in .m4r format. If you are working with iLife suite, first thing you may need before dragging .m4r file into GarageBand is to change the file format to .mp3 from .m4r.
- First, select a file on iTunes to use as a ringtone and drag it onto your desktop.
- Now, you can change the extension of your file to .mp3 from.m4r.
- The message may prompt on your screen, asking you if you are sure to change your file extension. Click use.mp3 to proceed further.
How to make a Ringtone
- You can now drag selected song into GarageBand. The app may open a virtual keyboard, simply close it down. Go to the counter at the bottom of your screen and change it from measures to time. You can keep measures if you are comfortable with it, the choice is yours.
- You can see a scissor icon at the bottom left of your screen, click it to expand the view of the app.
- With the bigger view, you can now fine tune your ringtone by cutting and highlighting sections of the ringtone and adding other features.
- You can see your controls like Play, pause and forward at right of your screen. Click on the button that is at the top of these controls. The yellow bar will appear at the top of your song that can help you adjusting your song.
- The rest of the process is simple, select the part of the song that you wan to use as a ring tone by sliding the yellow bar back and forth. The yellow bar also allows you to increase or decrease the length of your selected ringtone by dragging the yellow bar to the end or beginning. You can create a ring tone that is up to 20 seconds long.
This is it; you have now created a ringtone out of an iTunes song.
How to import your Ringtones into iTunes
The last step is to add your newly created ringtone to your iTunes account. Follow the simple steps as described below.
- Tap on “Share” at the top of GarageBand.
- You can now select option “Send ringtone to iTunes” from the list of options.
- This will automatically import your ringtone to iTunes.
- The last step is to sync your iPhone with the new ringtone to end the process.
By following these simple steps as described above, you can create as many ringtones as you can. The use of GarageBand is free and you can save lot of money using the process instead of purchasing ringtones from iTunes. Let us know about your experience with iLife in the comments below!!