How Sync Your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with a New Machine
It is fun as well as enjoyable to switch your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a new machine, without wiping out all your data, by following the steps in this article.
- Firstly, you have to authorize your new computer to use your Apple ID. You should use the same email address that you used in Apple iTunes. If you forget the email address, then you can verify the computer you are presently synchronizing with. However, it is available on the upper-right-hand to the iTunes Store. Once you recognize which email address you used, just go to the new computer you want to synchronize with and locate the Store menu. Now, choose Authorize This Computer. (If you have multiple Apple IDs, then you need to authorize account every time you synchronize. Check out this Apple support page for more information)
- A pop up window will open in the iTunes sidebar once you Connect your iDevice . Now, go to the File menu and select “Transfer Purchases from John’s iPhone” (assuming John is your name. The process will take some time if you have full content. However, you should give time in order to sync your phone easily.
- Transfer all the media which was not purchased from the Apple to the new computer. You can easily copy all the available iTunes data to the new machine you want to sync. You can find it here Hard Drive -> Users -> Your Home Folder (it will be labeled with your username) -> Music -> iTunes. Just pull all the content in your iTunes folder on to the new copy of iTunes you want to sync with. This will add all the content to the iTunes; however, you will lose playlists. Use any application (like Media Rover) to sync the two together, if you want to completely replace your iTunes library on the new computer.
- You have to shift content from your device in case you have content on your iDevice that’s not in the old computer’s iTunes library. For that, you have to buy any extraction software and iRip ($20) will work magic. For Mac users, iRip will send the files directly to iTunes. Senuti is freeware, which can also perform all this but it is not as efficient as iRip. For Windows users, just go into iTunes, choose your device, enable disk mode, and open up the disk in Windows. Go to the Tools menu, select Folder Option, and check view hidden files and folders once you iPod in Windows Explorer. This action will help you access to your media and on the other hand you can make most with the winamp’s iPod plugin.
- Click on the Apps tab from your device’s page by checking the sync apps option and clicking “Apply” to sync your apps from your device to your computer in iTunes.
- It is better to have a backup so right-click your device in the iTunes sidebar and choose Backup. ( have a look at the Techow while it creates backup)
The process might be boring as well as annoying but at least you have readied your content to sync on the new machine. If you lost all your content on the phone, it will be available right on your computer. You can even buy iTunes Match and let Apple sync your music for you. Note: you will still have to go all the way through the processes above to transfer your apps, videos, in order to sync but at any rate it’ll take care of what is likely the biggest bother.
How to Sync Your iDevice with Multiple Machines
To sync with multiple machines, there are two option in which both are defective. Firstly, if you are syncing some content like music, videos, and other media with one machine and other content with another app, then you can do that easily by just being careful on each machine. For that, connect your device on the first machine and set the sync options. Do the same process on the other machine but choose different options. You cannot sync music with the second machine, if you tell the first machine to sync music. This drawback makes it ineffective to take same kinds of content from two machines. Nevertheless, if you looking for something different, then this method works well.
The best method to sync your iTunes folder with any machine is syncing your iTunes folder with Dropbox. You can even use MediaRover if you do not want to pay for the Dropbox space. MediaRover is a simple and free app that can sync anything.
Although you have reach the nadir of the article, you would probably figure out that there is no perfect solution for this problem. It is a really annoying that your iDevices cannot not sync with multiple computers easily. However, we hope that the solutions mentioned above will act as alternative and serve as a good option in the interim. Good luck and happy syncing!
Ever since iPhone 4S has been released, users of older iPhone devices are trying desperately to get their hands on Siri. In this article we will explain how to install Siri on iPhone 4 running iOS 5 or higher.
How to Install Siri on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPad Running iOS 5.0+
Before we begin, we must inform you that you would need a Jailbroken device in order to install Siri on it. Once you have a jailbroken device you can follow the instructions listed below to install Siri on iPhone 4, iPhone 3 GS, iPod Touch, and iPad:
- Open Cydia on your jailbroken device.
- Now add the repo (http://repo.technetec.com/beta/) to Cydia sources.
- Search for “Spire” on Cydia and install it.
- Spire would need a reboot, after installation. Perform the reboot.
- Now go to Settings > General > Siri and turn it on.
- Now proceed back to Settings > Spire and add the link (https://i4sirifree.mooo.com/) in the proxy text box.
- Launch Safari and point it to (http://i4siri.com/installcertificate.html).
- The step mentioned above will create a certificate for your iDevice so that it could be recognized by Apple’s servers when you use Siri on your device.
That’s it. Enjoy using Siri on your iPhone 4, iPhone 3 GS, iPod Touch, or iPad.
In Windows and Macs installation of new software applications can be restricted. This ensures that everyone using the computer does not install anything that he/she likes and quickly turn the system into bloat. A similar thing can be done with iOS as well. So if your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch is also used by your wife or girl friend but you want to make sure that she does not install crappy apps on the device everytime she uses it, you can restrict such activity. One additional benefit of this restriction is to stop kids from inadvertently installing costly apps that they dont need or that you cant pay for. In this article we will explain how to disable app installation on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
How to Disable App Installation iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch
- Launch Settings and tap on “General”
- Now, Tap on “Restrictions”
- Tap “Enable Restrictions”. This will allow you to set a passcode, which would be needed if you want to lift these restrictions.
- Now, Scroll down to “Installing Apps” and and toggle it to OFF
You can also disable in-App purchases from Restriction settings. This would ensure that your kids wont be buying virtual goods or items from within apps.
If you want to lift these restrictions, you would have to go to Restriction settings again and enter the passcode and then finally toggle the “Installing Apps” switch to ON.
via OS X Daily.
Apple’s iOS mobile operating system is considered to be one of the most stable operating systems in the mobile arena. However, once in a while you might encounter a third party app that might hang it or render it unresponsive for a while. If a third party app makes your iPhone or iPad unresponsive, the best option available to you is to force quit that app. In this article we will explain how to force quit an app on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
How to Force Quit an App on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
The process of force quiting and app is same for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Follow the steps listed below to force quit an unresponsive app:
- Hold down the Power button at the top of the device until the “Slide to Power Off” message appears.
- Now release the power button.
- After releasing the power button, press the Home button at the base of the screen until the app forcibly quits.
If you apps on your iPhone or iPad start freezing often, this perhaps is a good indication that you should back up your device and restore it to factory settings to give it a fresh start.
via OS X Daily.
If you are still waiting to Jailbreak your iPod Touch 4G, follow the instruction on “ how to Jailbreak your iPod Touch 4G on iOS 5.0.1” using PwnageTool for Mac in this article.
Create a folder entitled “Pwnage” on the desktop and fill it with a couple of things like;
2. 5.0.1 iPod Touch firmware which can be downloaded as follows;
It is good, if you are downloading IPSW file with Firefox since safari auto extract it.
After double click on PwnageTool, drag the PwanageTool icon to the Pwanage folder.
Now inside Pwanage folder, double click the PwanageTool to launch the application.
If warning occurs, hit the OK button.
Select the appropriate Expert Mode from the top menu bar.
Screen with the iPod’s will popup. Select your appropriate iPod. As you click on the selected iPod, a green color check mark will appear on that iPod. Then press the blue arrow button at the end of the screen to continue.
You will be brought to the “Browse for IPSW” page. Click the Browse for IPSW…button.
Now popup window will show you a set of firmware. Select your firmware and then press Open button in Pwnage folder.
Now, select the General and hit the Next arrow button at the end to continue.
Through General setting you will be able to decide the partition size..
You do not need to install custom packages manually, Cydia setting menu allows it to install it automatically.
Press the Refresh button to see all the available list of download packages. then for downloading make double click at the desired package and then hit the next arrow button to continue.
Checkmark the packages that you want and hit the Next arrow button.
Now the window will show the Custom Package Setting for your custom IPSW. You can enable or disable the packages here.
the Pwnage process starts here. You can now adjust the setting of each section, once you have finished click “Build” to complie and build the IPSW file that will be used to restore the iPod Touch 3G, 4G. When you are done with the Build button hit the Next button to continue.
Save the custom IPSW file to the Pwnage folder that you created at the desktop.
Now it starts building the IPSW file, wait for 10 minutes. Later this is used to restore your iPod Touch 3G, 4G.
Enter your administrative user name and password and then hit the OK button.
For building your IPSW, you need to connect your iPod with computer. The computer will detect your device and Pwnage tool will guide you step by step to put your iPod in DFU mode.
Hold the power and home buttons for 10 seconds.
Now continue holding the home button and release the power button and for 10 seconds. This will help iPod to enter in DFU mode.
Now you will see a window congratulating you to enter in DFU mode. Press the OK button. Now PwanageTool will prompt you to launch iTunes.
If you are experiencing problem with your iPod, you can restore its original settings by clicking restore by holding Alt/Option key.
Using the dialog window that appears on your desktop select the Pwnage folder. Select the custom IPSW and click on the Choose button.
This process will take approximately 10 minutes. iTunes will start to restore on your iPod and when its done you may reboot into jailbroken OS 5.0.1
Many new users of Apple devices are still confused about upgrading their devices like iPod touch, iPhone or iPad to iOS 5. Apple allows users to upgrade their devices to its new software release using iTunes as a simple process. The best thing with upgrading your device to iOS 5 is that it will also update OTA updates on your device that means that there is no need to manually update your iPhone for any future software release using your computer.
How to Update iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to iOS 5
For now, you need to follow the steps given below to upgrade your device to iOS 5.
1. Make a connection. Plug your iDevice to your Mac or Windows PC using a USB port. Launch iTunes on your computer that will show sync your device and create a backup for your device.
2. Create Backup. In case, if your iTunes fails to sync your device automatically. Click ‘Sync’ so that iTunes can create backup of your device. Another way to create backup for your device is to go to navigation bar, right click your device name and click backup. Both methods can create backups for your device. 3. Upgrade to Update. In case of any recent updates like iOS 5, the iTunes will prompt you that an update is available for your device software. After creating a backup, click on the update button. You can also check for the update manually if your device fails to automatically prompt you by checking for any recent update under version section.
4. Download the software. Click on the update to start downloading, once the download is complete, install the update on your device. Let iTunes take control of your device as it will restart your device to complete the installation.
5. Restore your device. After upgrading your device to new software, iTunes allows you to choose from the two options to restore your device. One is to set up your device as a new device and other is to restore from backup. You can choose to restore from the back that you created in the initial steps of this tutorial.
6. Reboot your device. As soon as the restore is completed, your device will reboot automatically. iTunes will soon detect your upgraded device again and will start syncing all apps and games that were installed on your old iPhone.
Once you’re done with upgrading your iPhone to iOS 5, you can now use iCloud backups in the future. You can read our tutorials on Apple’s iCloud here.
Let us know about any questions about the topic and feel free to comment below for any feedback about our tutorial!!
You may experience a situation in which your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch may become unresponsive and you have no choice except to restore you device to fix the functionality of your device. It is a common problem with Apple devices that they freezes sometimes while installing beta versions of firmware. Sometime, your device can simply crash and become unresponsive without any apparent reason. The solution for all these problems with your device is nothing else but to restore your device. Jailbreakers and developers need to restore their device normally after jailbreaking a device or testing beta firmware on any device.
How to Restore iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad
This article is simple step by step guide that will help you in restoring your device either by using Mac or PC.
- Make a connection with Computer: The first step is to plug your device into Mac or PC using USB port.
- Launch iTunes: Most probably, it wall launch automatically. If not, launch iTunes manually.
- Select your device: Click on your device on the sidebar at the left of your screen.
- Create backup: Before proceeding further, make sure to create a backup of your device. You can sync your device for backup, right click your device name and click backup.
- Restore Your device: Now, click on the restore button to restore your device. Wait for sometime until iTunes process your device at its end.
After iTunes completes its processing, the popup will appear asking you if you want to restore from a backup or want to set up as a new device. If you select to restore from the backup, your device may still act unstable at times. In such case, restore your device again and set up your device as a new device to ensure full functionality of your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. In case you set up a new device, you can get your content back by re-syncing your content.
If you want to install a custom firmware on your device, hold down Option for Mac and CTRL for Windows and click restore at the same time. Now, navigate to the firmware and select the firmware you want.
This is a simple process and all iOS device owners should know about the process as you may have to restore your device anytime when it crashes, freezes or become unresponsive. I strongly recommend creating backups of your device content after regular intervals of time and sync your device on a regular basis to ensure a better recovery of your updated content in case you need to restore your device.
If you have some questions about the topic, or wants to share your experience or feedback, feel free to comment below!!!
Among the other outstanding features of the iOS 5, Wireless Syncing and backing-up are considered the best ones. As the name reveals itself, Wireless Sync lets you wirelessly transfer umpteen apps, books, music, movies, calendar, photos, and almost everything, which previously required wired sync. Well, if your device is running on iOS 5, then it will effectively support WiFi Syncing,. iOS 5 compatible devices include iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S, iPad, iPad 2, and the 3rd and 4th generations of iPod touch.
You will need to have iOS 5 and iTunes 10.5 for Wireless Syncing. So, before you try to enable Syncing via WiFi, make sure that you have both these Firmwares installed, otherwise, the option will remain invisible. Whether it is Windows or Mac OS X, the setup process remains the same, and is wholly compatible with both systems.
How to Use Wi-Fi Sync for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch with iOS 5
All you need to set up Wi-Fi Syncing is to plug your iOS iDevice into your computer, and after that, you’ll be completely wire free except when you are to charge your hardwares batteries.
From iTunes 10.5+
- Plug your iOS iDevice into your computer
- Launch iTunes, and from the left side of the window, click on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
- After launching iTunes, click on the tab ‘Summary’.
- Now, scroll down, and select the checkbox adjacent to “Sync with this iPhone over Wi-Fi” (or, according to your need, iPod touch or iPad).
Well, after enabling iTunes side, you need to hold your iOS iDevice in your hand to complete the process.
From iOS 5
- Open ‘Settings’ and click on ‘General’.
- Click on ‘iTunes Wi-Fi Sync’.
- Now, select the computer that was used to set up Wi-Fi Sync on in the previous iTunes step.
- Start enjoying Wireless Syncing after tapping on the button “Sync”.
It can also be double-checked as this works by getting the iPad or iPhone disconnected. From the iTunes on your PC or the Mac. Select the ‘Sync’ option. A similar Sync screen will be visible on your iDevice.
Using Wi-Fi Syncing with iOS 5
Once you have enabled and setup Wi-Fi Syncing correctly, Wireless Syncing can automatically be started by your iOS iDevice at any time the hardware is attached to a power souce, which may include speaker docks, USB cable etc. Interestingly, as the process is completed, your iPad or iPhone shall also be automatically and wirelessly backed up. Besides the automatic process, you may also start manual back-up and syncing from the iTunes on your PC or Mac, or from your iDevice.
Start a Wireless Sync from the iOS 5 Device
- Open “Settings” and click on “General”.
- Select “iTunes Wi-Fi Sync” and click on the button “Sync”.
This can be cancelled at any time by clicking the button “Cancel Sync”.
Start Syncing Wirelessly from iTunes on a Mac or PC
For undertaking the process of Syncing manually, select the button ‘Sync’ within the iTunes to continue the process. If you are interested in utilizing WiFi syncing, and want to enjoy PC-free experience, it’s essential to Sign up for iCloud.
Troubleshooting Problems with Wireless Syncing
No doubt, there are a number of problems that you may face during wireless syncing. To ward off such troubles, Apple provides many useful instructions, which are listed below:
- Make sure that your iOS iDevice is running with iOS 5, and your PC or Mac has iTunes 10.5 or later.
- Re-open iTunes after quitting once.
- Reboot iPad, iPhone or iPod touch
- Reset the Wireless router.
- Make sure that your iOS iDevice is attached to the same WiFi network as of your PC or Mac.
- Check if there is a network distortion from metal barriers interfering with WiFi signals, such as cordless phones, microwaves and so on.
- Review firewall settings, and make sure that the ports iTunes uses, for instance, TCP ports 123 and 3689, and UDP ports 123 and 5353, are opened and available.
There is no restriction on the number of iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad devices that could be operated this way. However, one can come across the usual limit of PC or Mac that are to be connected to the iOS iDevices.
Some users don’t want to see the Stock Ticker on their iPhone or iPads Notification Center in iOS 5. So what to do to hide it? Here are a few steps that will help you get rid of this ticker if stock market and its figures have nothing to do with your daily life.
How To Remove Stock Ticker Widget From iOS 5 Notification Center
- Tap ‘Settings’ on your iPhone or iPad and go to ‘Notifications’.
- Go to ‘Stock Widget’.
- Slide the widget ‘Off’ from here.
Now your screen will be clear of any stock market ticker and its symbols constantly hovering over your screen.