In this article we will explain how to upgrade your iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS to iOS 5.1 without upgrading your baseband on Windows. This will allow you to unlock your iPhone since you would be on a supported baseband.
Create a folder named Pwnage on your Desktop. Now download the latest version of RedSn0w from here to the Pwnage folder.
Download iOS 5.1 firmware for your device from here into the Pwnage folder.
Extract the RedSn0w archive file. Now run the RedSn0w executable as Administrator.
From the Main menu, click on Extras.
Now from the Extras menu, click on “Custom IPSW”.
Now you would have to select the iOS firmware. Select iOS 5.1 firmware that you downloaded to the Pwnage folder and click Open.
Now RedSn0w will create a custom IPSW file for you.
Once the files has been created you would receive a prompt.. Click the OK button.
Now from the Extras Menu, Click Pwned DFU.
RedSn0w will now show you a menu, which would ask you to connect your device to the computer via USB and power it off. Once done, click the Next button to continue.
Now you would be asked to hold down the Power button for 3 seconds. Do so.
Now without releasing the Power button, hold down the Home button for 10 seconds.
Now release the Power button BUT KEEP holding the Home button until your device is in DFU mode.
RedSn0w will now exploit your device with LimeRa1n.
Once the exploit is done, your device will be in Pwned DFU mode.
Now launch iTunes. You would have to do so by clicking its icon on the dock.
From within iTunes, select your device from the list on the left and then hold the Shift key and click Restore.
Select the “NO_BB…” custom IPSW from the Pwnage folder and click Open.
Once the process is complete, your iPhone will be upgraded to iOS 5.1 without having the baseband updated.
In this article we will explain how to upgrade your iPhone to iOS 5.1 without updating your baseband on Mac.
How to Upgrade Your iPhone to iOS 5.1 Without Updating Your Baseband on Mac
Create a folder named Pwnage on your Desktop. Now download the latest version of RedSn0w from here and place it in the Pwnage folder.
Now download the iOS 5.1 firmware for your device from here. Place it in the Pwnage folder as well.
Extract the RedSn0w archive. Now double click the RedSn0w icon to launch the application.
The menu shown below would be displayed. Click on Extras.
This would display the menu shown below. In this menu click on “Custom IPSW”.
Select iOS 5.1 firmware that you downloaded to the Pwnage folder and click Open.
This will make RedSn0w to customize an IPSW file for you.
Once the IPSW file is created, you will receive a pop up menu about it. Click the OK button.
Now from the Extras menu, click on “Pwned DFU”.
Now connect your device to the computer power it off. This would initiate the process to putting your device into DFU mode. Click the Next button once the device is connected to the PC.
Hold down the Power button for 3 seconds as instructed in the menu.
Keep holding the Power button and hold the Home button for 10 seconds.
Now just release the Power button BUT KEEP holding the Home button until your device is in DFU mode.
RedSn0w will now exploit your device with LimeRa1n.
After the exploit is done your device will be in Pwned DFU mode.
Now Launch iTunes. Do this by clicking its icon in the dock.
Now select your device from the list on the left. Once selected hold down the Option key and click Restore.
Select the “NO_BB custom IPSW” from the Pwnage folder on your desktop and click Open.
That’s it, this will now upgrade your iPhone to iOS 5.1 without updating the baseband.
Jailbreak apps needs to be updated just like any other apps. The notification regarding update is displayed in a little red badge on the Cydia icon. In this article we will explain how to update your jailbreak apps easily through Cydia.
How to Update Your Jailbreak Apps Easily Through Cydia
- Launch Cydia
- Now, Tap on “Changes” tab.
- Within this tab, search for Available Upgrades to find the newly available app updates.
- You can update/upgrade your jailbreak apps by just tapping on the “Upgrade” button at the top right corner of the screen.
- Once done, just respring your device.
That’s all you need to do in order to update/upgrade your jailbreak apps to the latest versions.
You can additionally view the video tutorial embedded below to see a visual demonstration of the process detailed above.
A massive upgrade to the Windows jailbreak tools at the 2nd anniversary of Sn0wbreeze brought huge changes in pod2g’s and iOS 5.0.1 untethered Jailbreak. Continue reading to for a full Sn0wbreeze 2.9 tutorial for iOS 5.0.1.
Steps for Sn0wbreeze 2.9 tutorial for iOS 5.0.1 are as follows:
Step 2: Using the ‘app IPSW download tool’, browse for your IPSW firmware and download the required IPSW
Step 3: Sn0wbreeze will place custom IPSW on your desktop.
Step 4: Once custom firmware is created, press OK and put your device into DFU mode. When the device is in DFU mode click Start to enter iREB, this will put your device into PwnedDFU mode to restore custom firmware with iTunes.
Step 5: When your device is verified in PwnedDFU, close Sn0wBreeze and open up iTunes. Through this you will recognize your device in DFU mode. Click restore while holding shift key and, then select your custom firmware that is prefixed with “Sn0wbreeze”.
Step 6: Once your device is restored, you should have a jailbroken device running iOS 5.0.1 untethered. Check for Cydia on your Home screen.
Please share your experience with Sn0wbreeze and have you benefitted through 5.0.1 support?
Recently, the untethered jailbreak for iPad 2 and iPhone 4S is released via Absinthe. For untethered Jailbreaking your iPad 2 or iPhone 4S, you have to download Absinthe first. You can follow the below mentioned steps to Jailbreak your device.
iPhone 4S Untethered Jailbreak Video
iPad 2 Untethered Jailbreak Video
How to Jailbreak the iPhone 4S or iPad 2 with Absinthe
- Download: First step is to download Absinthe (V0.4: Mac – Windows – Linux)on your computer, extract the file and run the file on your system.
- Make a Connection: Connect your iPad 2 or iPhone 4S to your computer using USB port.
- Jailbreak: You can now click on the “Jailbreak” to begin the process of Jailbreaking. This will run the Absinthe Jailbreak on your computer. You may notice that your iPhone 4S or iPad 2 will start restoring a backup after few minutes. You can read a message on the screen “Restoring in Progress”. The process may take a while to complete so wait patiently and do not click on any button.
- Unlock your device: After your device completes the restoring process, unlock your device if needed. You will notice a new Absinthe icon on Home screen of your iDevice.
- Tap Absinthe icon: Now, you can tap on the Absinthe icon and it will lead you to the GreenPois0n site. Absinthe will than reboot the iPhone 4S or iPad 2. You may notice that Cydia will replace the Absinthe icon after your device loads back.
- Done. The process may take a long time than other untethered jailbreak methods, but you can easily jailbreak your device following simple steps as described in this tutorial.
After Jailbreaking your iPhone 4S and iPad 2, you can now use Cydia to download all the latest tweaks and jailbreak apps for free.
Let us know about your feedback or your experience with Jailbreaking in the comments below!!
With the release of latest CLI tool update by the iPhone Dev team, Jailbreaking iPhone 4S and iPad 2 become more convenient for Windows users. The added support in recent Dev team release for Windows users in CLI tool update makes things easier for Windows users. With this recent update, a Window user can use Windows command prompt to perform untethered Jailbreak on iPad 2 or iPhone 4S. The process is simple and more convenient than previous jailbreak methods.
Before starting a Jailbreak process using CLI tool, you have to download CLI tool version 0.4.3. After downloading 0.4.3 version, you have to follow simple steps as described below in the article to Jailbreak your device.
Precautions: To save yourself from problems in the process, remove all passcode protections of your device. Make sure that you have iTunes installed on your Windows PC and keep your device plugged in to your computer. You must run CMD as an Admin.
- Download. First, download the RedSn0w CLI tool version 0.4.3 (Mac • Windows) on your Windows PC.
- Connect Your Device. Use USB port to connect your iPad 2 or iPhone 4S to your Computer.
- Command Prompt. Use administrative privileges to open command prompt on Windows. Access the download directory through command prompt (cinject_0.4.3 folder). Every user must navigate to the folder where the user extracted the file on their computer.
- Execute commands. After completing the 3rd Step, now you have to execute following commands to continue with the process.
cinject -i payloads/jailbreak.mobileconfig
- Install. The window will appear with Install profile option on your iPad 2 or iPhone 4S. Click on the install option so that your device can accept the new profile. Keep typing new commands on your command prompt.
cinject -j payloads
- Go to Settings > Network > VPN on your iDevice.
- VPN Settings. Turn on the VPN Settings by toggling it. You may receive a message on your device “A configuration error occurred” but this is normal. It may take some time in loading before completing the process.
- Reboot. Your device will automatically reboot after few seconds. Again, you may find some errors on your screen while rebooting but this is normal with this process.
- Done. As soon as you see the following message on your screen, unlock your iDevice to access Cydia on your home screen.
Feb 21 08:44:46 iPhone cleanup : Removing WebClip
Feb 21 08:44:46 iPhone jb : 2012-01-21 08:44:46.473 cleanup[208:707
] Removing WebClip
Feb 21 08:44:46 iPhone jailbreak: Installing filemover…
- If you incur “Send1: Response too large” error, try unplugging the USB cable and plugging it back in.
- Jailbreak might run very slow or even fail if your device is filled with large amount of content. In such case we will recommend you to backup and restore your device to clean install of iOS 5.0/5.0.1 and then go for Jailbreaking using this guide.
This will complete your Jailbreaking process using the latest update of CLI from the Dev Team. Let us know about your feedback about the tutorial in the comments below!
It is important that you pay heed to Apple’s warning against Jailbreaking and permanently preserve your iOS 5.0.1 untethered Jailbreak to counter any future move from Apple. It is very important that you update to iOS 5.0.1 and save SHSH blobs across all devices including iPad 2 and iPhones 4S. This will allow you to downgrade to iOS 5.0.1 later and secure your access to untethered Jailbreak forever.
Now, we will guide you to create a firmware file for your A4 devices that can always be Jailbroken. Further we will also guide you to preserve the ability to Jailbreak on A5 devices as well.
Step 2: Connect the computer to your iDevice.
Step 3: Using the settings mentioned above in the video, open TinyUmbrella and save your 5.0.1 SHSH blobs. Note: This has to be done fast before Apple update to 5.1 because it is still signing the iOS 5.0.1 firmware. If you saved blobs at Cydia’s server then you can also retrieve it from there.
Step 4: Open RedSn0w and go to Extras > SHSH blobs > Stitch and then point to iOS 5.0.1 firmware for your device, and then select the 5.0.1 SHSH blob. After that RedSn0w will stitch them together. Note: This step only applies to A4 devices like the iPad 1 or iPhone 4.
Step 5: Now save the newly created IPSW file to a safe location. In this way you will always be able to downgrade to iOS 5.0.1 when Apple is no longer singing the firmware.
About Stitching: To protect your iOS 5.0.1 untethered jailbreak, it is not necessary to create a stitched IPSW+SHSH blobs. All you need to do is save both the firmware for iOS 5.0.1 along with the SHSH blob in a safe location. Once when you get the bootrom level exploit for A5 devices, you can go back and stitch them together.
Then you can restore through stitched IPSW file by utilizing PwnedDFU mode and the custom IPSW option in RedSn0w.
What are you waiting for? Protect your Jailbreak now. Those, who are facing problems on Windows with the error: The blobs could not be verified. Try the following:
Win 7: 64bit
C:Program Files (x86)Common FilesAppleApple Application Support
Copy all the files!
Paste it here:
In this article we have explained how to perform an untethered Jailbreak on your second generation Apple TV using Seas0nPass. This guide is for Mac, you may follow our windows guide here.
Download the latest version of SeasonPass.
Open the archive folder and double click the application that you want to launch.
A window asking for your user name and password will popup. You need to sign in here and then hit the OK button
To restore the IPSW automatically in iTunes , You will be asked to enable UI Scripting. Click the Enable button.
Step Five : Click on the “Create IPSW button” shown at left hand side in the screen.
Step Six: Now seas0nPass will start the downloading of Apple TV firmware file.
Step Seven: Now you will get a custom IPSW file from Seas0nPass.
Step Eight: Seas0nPass will ask you to connect the Apple TV when your custom IPSW file has been formed to your computer via a micro-USB cable. Holding MENU and PLAY/PAUSE button for 7 seconds put it into DFU mode using remote. Please make assure that that power cable should not be connected during this process. Step Nine
Following picture shows the instance when your Apple TV is jailbroken!
In this article we have explained how to perform an untethered Jailbreak on your second generation Apple TV using Seas0nPass. This guide is for Windows, you may follow our Mac guide here. Before beginning this tutorial you must have already installed the Microsoft .Net Framework which can be found here.
Press Download to install latest version of Seas0nPass
Open the archive folder and double click the application, that you want to launch.
Click on the “Create IPSW button” shown at left hand side in the screen.
Now Seas0nPass will start the downloading of Apple TV firmware file.
Now you will get a custom IPSW file from Seas0nPass.
Seas0nPass will ask you to connect the Apple TV when your custom IPSW file has been formed to your computer via a micro-USB cable. Holding MENU and PLAY/PAUSE button for 7 seconds put it into DFU mode using remote. Please make assure that that power cable should not be connected during this process.
Seas0nPass automatically launch iTunes, Upload some files and start restoring to the new firmware when Apple TV is detected in DFU mode.
Following picture shows the instance when your Apple TV is jailbroken!
With the release of Linux version of Absinthe all platform can access tools to Jailbreak their iPhone 4S and iPad 2. Recently, we have already covered article to Jailbreak iPhone and iPad with Absinthe on OS X and Windows. But still we do not want to put our Linux reader aloft. Despite the lack of iTunes, it is easy to apply an untethered Jailbreak with Absinthe on Linux.
Step 1: Libimobile device package allows Linux to communicate with your iPhones 4S, iPad 2 and other iOS devices. You need to install it on your Linux distribution with the following steps:
- Type: “sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pmcenery/ppa” at the terminal
- If you received ay warning on the way accept them and install the package.
- Next Type: “sudo apt-get update”
- Go for Ubuntu software centre and look for Livemobiledevice and install Livemobiledevice-utils. Reboot your device and Linux will be able to recognize it.
It varies with Linux distribution, so if you have different Linux distribution then take it as a loose guide and visit http://www.libimobiledevice.org/ for more information.
Step 2: Download Absinthe v0.3 for Linux.
Step 3: If you have 64 bit, x86 machine then double click on Absinthe x86_64 to run.
Step 4: Absinthe will detect your device when you switch it ON, now click Jailbreak to start the magic.
Step 5: Until the loading bar is complete, do not press any button, no intervention is needed here. Once it gets completed, find Absinthe icon at the home page of your device and then launch it to complete the Jailbreak.
Step 6: Once your device reboots, you will see a Cydia icon on your desktop.
If you are a Linux user, then share your experience and comment for Jailbreaking iOS with Absinthe. We are eager to listen from your side.