Jailbreaking allows users a lot of power and flexibility to install apps that are not possible on the stock Apple devices. In this article we will explain how to jailbreak Apple TV 2G 5.0 using Seas0nPass. Before you begin, you should know that this is a tethered jailbreak.
How to Jailbreak Apple TV 2G 5.0 Using Seas0nPass
In order to jailbreak your Apple TV using Seas0nPass, perform the following steps:
- The first step would be to download the latest version of Seas0nPass.
- Extract Seas0nPass.
- Launch the executable by double clicking it.
- Press the ‘Create IPSW’ button on the main screen.
- This will make Seas0nPass download the latest firmware for Apple TV.
- After downloading the latest firmware, Seas0nPass will create a custom IPSW file.
- Seas0nPass will now ask you to connect your Apple TV with a PC via a micro-USB cable.
- Use the remote to put it into DFU mode. You can do this by holding MENU and PLAY/PAUSE for 7 seconds. Sometimes it takes several tries to put the Apple TV into DFU mode.
- Seas0nPass will upload some files once Apple TV has been successfully put into DFU mode. In addition to this, it will automatically launch iTunes and will start restoring the firmware.
- In order to boot your Apple TV, launch Seas0nPass again by double clicking on its icon.
- From the main menu, select Boot Tethered.
- Put Apple TV into DFU mode by connecting to a PC using USB and holding MENU and PLAY/PAUSE on the Apple TV remote for 7 seconds.
- Now Seas0nPass will detect Apple TV to be in DFU mode and will start the boot process.
- You can remove the USB cable once the tethered boot is complete.
Enjoy your jailbroken Apple TV.
The task of downgrading your Apple TV to an older more ancient firmware has become quite simple with the latest version of Seas0nPass. FireCore has recently made Seas0nPass v 0.8.2 public. This version is new and it utilizes previously saved firmware signatures (SHSH blobs). These firmware signatures are able to Jailbreak, the process of removing limitation placed on apple products, and perform restorations on an Apple TV device. This allows you the ability to sign and support Apple device that may no longer be signed or supported by Apple.
Here is a short guide on how to downgrade to a past version of Apple TV 2 firmware using with Seas0nPass:
Note: The firmware can only be downgraded if you have previously save you saved your Apple TV’s firmwaresignatures using TinyUmbrella or aTV Flash (black)
- Using USB connect the Apple TV
- Start Seas0nPass
- To select your desired version you’ll need to Right-click the ‘Create IPSW’ button.
- Seas0nPass will automatically restore the firmware and handle the collection of saved signatures.
If you’re receiving a ‘not eligible’ message Apple is no longer signing that particular version, this also means Seas0nPass was not able to locate any saved signatures for that device/firmware combination.
You may download Seas0nPass (both Mac and Windows) free of cost from their website.
In this article we have explained how to perform an untethered Jailbreak on your second generation Apple TV using Seas0nPass. This guide is for Mac, you may follow our windows guide here.
Download the latest version of SeasonPass.
Open the archive folder and double click the application that you want to launch.
A window asking for your user name and password will popup. You need to sign in here and then hit the OK button
To restore the IPSW automatically in iTunes , You will be asked to enable UI Scripting. Click the Enable button.
Step Five : Click on the “Create IPSW button” shown at left hand side in the screen.
Step Six: Now seas0nPass will start the downloading of Apple TV firmware file.
Step Seven: Now you will get a custom IPSW file from Seas0nPass.
Step Eight: Seas0nPass will ask you to connect the Apple TV when your custom IPSW file has been formed to your computer via a micro-USB cable. Holding MENU and PLAY/PAUSE button for 7 seconds put it into DFU mode using remote. Please make assure that that power cable should not be connected during this process. Step Nine
Following picture shows the instance when your Apple TV is jailbroken!
In this article we have explained how to perform an untethered Jailbreak on your second generation Apple TV using Seas0nPass. This guide is for Windows, you may follow our Mac guide here. Before beginning this tutorial you must have already installed the Microsoft .Net Framework which can be found here.
Press Download to install latest version of Seas0nPass
Open the archive folder and double click the application, that you want to launch.
Click on the “Create IPSW button” shown at left hand side in the screen.
Now Seas0nPass will start the downloading of Apple TV firmware file.
Now you will get a custom IPSW file from Seas0nPass.
Seas0nPass will ask you to connect the Apple TV when your custom IPSW file has been formed to your computer via a micro-USB cable. Holding MENU and PLAY/PAUSE button for 7 seconds put it into DFU mode using remote. Please make assure that that power cable should not be connected during this process.
Seas0nPass automatically launch iTunes, Upload some files and start restoring to the new firmware when Apple TV is detected in DFU mode.
Following picture shows the instance when your Apple TV is jailbroken!
Apple TV 2 firmware 4.4.3 can now be jailbroken using FireCore’s SeasOnPass. The Apple TV needs to be connected to a computer in order to reboot as this is a tethered jailbreak. Currently the jailbreak does not supports plugins like XBMC, Plex client and Rowmote. However, Seas0nPass 4.4.3 comes up with features that support Media Player, Couch Surfer, nitoTV, Remote HD, Last.fm, Weather, RSS Feeds and Overflow. In this article we will explain how to jailbreak Apple TV 4.4.3 with Seas0nPass [Tethered Jailbreak].
How to Jailbreak Apple TV 4.4.3 with Seas0nPass [Tethered Jailbreak]
In order to jailbreak Apple TV 4.4.3 with Seas0nPass, follow the instructions listed below:
Check List To Be Ticked Before The Launch:
- Install the latest version of iTunes after downloading it. Make sure that all the updates have been done after checking the Software Update in Apple menu.
- Download SeasOnPass (Mac 10.6 or later and Windows XP or later).
- In order to jailbreak you will need a micro USB cable.
- Make sure that before you proceed, you have disconnected every iPod, iPhone or iPad connected to your computer.
- Step 1: Launch the setup of SeasOnPass after getting the ‘SeasOnPass.zip’ unzipped.
- Step2: Start the jailbreak process after selecting the tab ‘Create IPSW’.
- Step 3: It will download the latest of the Apple TV software which can be used to create custom ‘jailbroken’ software file.
- Step 5: Switch off the battery plug. If prompted use the micro USB cable to get connected to the Apple TV.
- Step 6: On seeing the Apple TV front side light flashing, hold the remote right into the TV’s direction and press the buttons MENU and PLAY/PAUSE for only 7 seconds.
NOTE: This step can only be done with the use of the silver (aluminum) AppleTV remote which came with the Apple TV2. The white plastic remotes used before will not work.
- The iTunes will launch automatically and will begin with the Restore process.
- On completing the restore process, iTunes will confirm that your Apple TV is jailbroken. In order to proceed further to the ‘tethered boot’ follow the given steps.
NOTE: A successful jailbreak will be confirmed by red FC logo that will appear in the lower right corner of the screen for a short moment.
Tethered Boot With The Help Of SeasOnPass:
Got your Apple TV on iOS 4.4.3 jailbroken with SeasOnPass? Now it’s time for a tethered boot. This means that your Apple TV needs to stay connected to the computer as it goes through the startup.
NOTE: in order to get the tethered boot process work in the best possible way, make sure that you disconnect Apple TV from the computer for a short while after getting iTunes restored in it.
- Launch SeasOnPass and select the option ‘Boot Tethered’.
- Connect the USB to Apple TV after getting the prompt on screen. Connect the power on seeing the light flash. Hold both the ‘MENU’ and ‘PLAY/PAUSE’ buttons for 7 seven seconds after connecting both.
- Tethered boot will automatically be completed with Seas0n Pass. After completion, remove the USB cable and connect the HDMI cable.
NOTE: Take special care to perform each step ensuring each is done with precision and accuracy. On getting the message of successfully completing the process, immediately remove the USB cable and let the HDMI cable connected making sure that the light on the front of the AppleTV does not stop flashing. There is nothing to worry about as you will always have enough time to perform all these steps.